Our client, a startup, recognized an opportunity for IoT sensors in the Propane and Fuel Oil space—but only if the product could meet some aggressive goals.
Ultra-Low-Cost IoT Sensor with 10-Year Battery
- Product Requirements
- Conceptual Design
- Prototyping (MVP)
- Mechanical Design
- Manufacturing Documents
- Programing UI/UX
- Electrical Design
- PCB Layout & Assembly
How to develop an IoT sensor with a total cost of ownership of less than $1 per month.
- After concluding no existing RF technologies (cell, WiFi, etc) would achieve the $1 per month requirement, FinishLinePDS invented new RF technology
- Pulling from over 200 experts, assembled a team to execute the detailed design of the system
- Helped the company to raise additional funds, ultimately >$8M
- Helped the company develop a sales and Marketing system that achieved more than 100,000 sales within the first year
The system was composed of several components
- IoT sensor for fuel oil and propane
- Base station for deploying on LMRS towers
- BOS system including RF viewshed and API interface to many of the degree day systems used at the time
- Developed large scale production with an Asian manufacturer
- Developed automatic calibration and testing equipment for reducing manufacturing cost
The company became the largest dedicated IoT network provider in the USA and went on to raise more than $50M in investment capital.
CURIOUS HOW WE COULD HELP YOUR TEAM?
Book a free one-hour evaluation session.
We promise you will learn a lot, even if you do not end up hiring us.